Sunday 23 February 2014

Baking || Banana and Walnut Chocolate Bread

A couple of months back, I posted a recipe of one of my all time favourites - Banana Bread. Since that post, I have made Banana Bread countless times for myself, friends and colleagues. So effortlessly quick and easy to put together, I have worked on several variations trying to add some character to the current package. And I think I finally nailed it with the help of some staple ingredients in my kitchen.

IMG_20140223_160218
Banana and Walnut Chocolate Bread
In trying to incorporate the walnuts and chocolate chips into the recipe, I quickly realised that I had to make some slight variations to my original recipe. Of course the bonus of the recipe trials was the discovery of the hit show House of Cards.
I realise I am coming on board a little late, but binge watching the box set did make my kitchen trials a lot more fun.

IMG_20140222_153159
Ripe Bananas
IMG_20140222_154656
Butter, Brown Sugar & Caster Sugar
IMG_20140222_152848
Walnuts
Ingredients
  • 150g Unsalted Butter (melted)
  • 300g Plain Flour
  • 100g Brown Sugar
  • 85g Caster Sugar
  • 2 Eggs
  • 3 Ripe Bananas
  • 150ml Milk (whole/semi-skimmed)
  • 50g Dark Chocolate Chips
  • 50g Walnuts (coarsely crushed)
  • 1tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 1tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
  • 1/2tsp Salt
Method
  1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees C
  2. Into a mixing bowl, add butter and sugars and whisk until fluffy
  3. Add in eggs and continue whisking until light and almost foamy
  4. Add in flour gradually, ensuring to mix well together with no lumps (using a spatula)
  5. Add bicarbonate of soda and salt and continue mixing
  6. Add milk and gently mix together until it becomes smooth and slurry in consistency
  7. Add bananas, chocolate chips and walnuts and gently fold into the mixture
  8. Lightly butter and flour the bread tin
  9. Pour in mixture into the bread tin, and ensure to spread evenly to level on the top
  10. Place into preheated oven and bake for 1 hour 10 minutes
  11. Remove from oven and set aside to cool for about 10-15 minutes
  12. Turn over bread tin and carefully tip out the bread tin
IMG_20140222_161141
Oven Ready

This goes swimmingly with alot of accompaniments.....spreads, soups etc.
Celery & Stilton Soup, Spicy Tomato & Chorizo Soup, Rossel & Strawberry Jam

Don't forget to Like, Share & Follow ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment