Wednesday 15 January 2014

Smoothie Run | One Week Diary - Endless Possibilities


IMG_00002056

This has been highly requested off the back of my instagram, google+ and twitter postings. I was however a little bit reluctant just because I don't consider myself to be a "health buff "and I love my food too much to treat it like a medication (apologies folks but this is just my opinion). In other words, my palate is just to adventurous to be pigeon-holed. Therefore, my relationship with food just revolves around being sensible and enjoying everything.


2014-01-011

I first started making my own smoothies about 2 years ago when I realised how much sweeteners were added into the commercial varieties for the purpose of keeping consumers "addicted", and how easy it is to DIY. And then I went full throttle last summer when I was gifted with a smoothie maker. Since then, smoothies have been a constant presence in my morning rituals.
Getting the best smoothie consistency depends on "prepping" the ingredients. With the exception of apples, most of the other fruits and vegetables I use are preserved frozen, because with the ice crystals formed in them, I find that there's no need to add in ice cubes during blending so you don't end up diluting the natural sweetness of the ingredients. Plus it prevents food wastage.

My favourite thing with making my smoothies is not knowing what will end up in my travel jug on my way to work. This is a run through my daily portions last week.

  • Monday - Kale, Lemon, Grapes, Apples, Coriander, Honey
  • Tuesday - Red Cabbage, Beetroots, Blueberries, Strawberries, Grapes, Lemon, Honey
  • Wednesday - Kale, Grapes, Cucumber, Bananas, Lemon, Honey
  • Thursday - Spinach, Blueberries, Cucumber, Apples, Bananas, Lemon, Honey
  • Friday - Apples, Red Cabbage, Beetroots, Blueberries, Strawberries, Honey

There's no limit to the combination of fruits and vegetables that can be blended together to make your smoothies. I don't work with any recipes, I just go with the flow as soon as I open my freezer drawer. They all turn out delicious and refreshing anyway. If preferred, dairy (milk or yoghurt) can be added in to give a creamier consistency. Like they say, the possibilities are endless!

Please Like, Share & Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment