Saturday 19 October 2013

Spanish Omelette with Sauteed Chestnut Mushrooms & Peppers

IMG_00001067[1]
Spanish Omelette with Sauteed Mushrooms & Peppers
So I just could no longer ignore the eggs that kept looking at me every single time I went into the refrigerator. They're actually from the pack of 6 I bought to make my banana bread. And since I hate wasting food, I had to put them to good use. Easier said than done for me, because raw eggs terrify me!
I decided to go with the Spanish Omelette because this version contaons one of my favourite ingredients in it - Chorizo. So that was a motivation to get me going.

I browsed through what felt like tonnes of recipes before I finally settled for a combination of 2 different recipes that contained elements that worked for me with their ingredients and methods. Sort of like a selection and elimination of my likes and dislikes among them.
After working up some courage, there was no turning back once I got started and in the end - and after tasting the fruit of my labour - I wondered what all my fuss was about. Easy to make as well as filling, I definitely intend to make this more often.....while also hopefully conquering my "eggs demons" one day. Fingers crossed ☺.
Recipe inspirations were taken from The Good Food Channel  and Jamie Oliver.

IMG_00001061[1]

Ingredients
  • 4 Eggs
  • 2 small New Baby Potatoes
  • 30g Chorizo (diced)
  • 1 small Shallot (coarsely chopped)
  • 25g Grated Parmesan Cheese
  • 3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 2 tbsp Fresh Parsley
  • 1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper
  • 2 tbsp Jalapenos
  • Pinch of Salt
  • 125g Chestnut Mushrooms (chopped)
  • 50g Butter
  • 75g Peppers (diced)
  • 1 tsp Lemon Juice
IMG_00001063[1]

Methods

Spanish Omelette
  1. Heat oven to 200 degrees C.
  2. Break eggs into mixing bow, and whisk thoroughly. 
  3. Add parsley, jalapenos, salt and black pepper. Whisk thoroughly.
  4. Into a non-stick frying pan, add olive oil and place on low heat.
  5. Add onions and potatoes, stir and cook for about 5 minutes until almost softened.
  6. Add chorizo and stir continuously for 3 minutes.
  7. Pour in whisked eggs mixture and leave on low heat for about 1 minute so that the omelette just begins to set underneath.
  8. Sprinkle parmesan cheese over the eggs mixture.
  9. Remove frying pan from heat and transfer into the oven for 10 minutes.
Sauteed Mushrooms and Peppers
  1. Melt butter in a frying pan on medium heat.
  2. Add mushrooms and peppers and stir in to coat in butter for about 2 minutes.
  3. Add lemon juice and salt and stir.
  4. Remove from heat.

IMG_00001065[1]

Serves 2 

No comments:

Post a Comment